Grey-Sweater-Duster-HM-NNB
Asking for a raise is always an uncomfortable task. You’ve worked your tail off for some time now and you’re ready to start making more money… and you should. In any industry, 60% of the battle is having the courage to simply ask. The other 40% is…

Grey-Sweater-Duster-HM-NNBGrey-Sweater-Duster-HM-NNB

The other 40% is comprised of charm, science/fact, organization and timing. Let’s face it, if the boss doesn’t like you, you’re not getting sh*t. So be sure you’re a likable person or you’re S.O.L., my friend. Let’s put these in order of importance:

  1. Timing is everything: You have to know when raises are given out. Is it at the end of every year or is it the anniversary month when you started with the organization? Typically, in my experience, it’s at the end of the year when they do annual reviews. You’re pulled in (usually awkwardly) and you discuss your performance for the year and talk about new goals for the following or are given a pass/fail grade. In this meeting is where you’d discuss raises or an increase in pay. *Side note: if your review was crappy…. don’t ask for a raise (obviously).
  2. Gather your facts: If you’re in a sales based role – know your numbers. How much revenue did you pull that year (or on a quarterly basis) for the company. Did you hit your quota? Were there clients that you brought in that they didn’t have before? By what % did you grow an account… etc. If you’re not in a sales based role…. know how long you’ve been with the company and examples on how you’ve been a diligent employee. When you’re tasked with a project, did you accomplish it on-time and above expectations? Are you asking for additional projects, on occasion, to show that you can handle any additional workload?
  3. Get organized: List out what your successes encompass over the past year. Whether you do this via bullets or a PowerPoint, be ready to present it factually and confidently. Along with this, KNOW WHAT YOU YOU’RE ASKING FOR. What are you wanting in exchange for all your hard work. Be sure you’re realistic. If you’re making (for math sake) $5 per hour, don’t ask for $30 per hour. If you’re making $5 per hour and the company usually offers a 4% or 10% raise, then ask for just a little above that number. Regardless of the figure, know what you’re asking for and be confident as to why you deserve that raise! Put yourself in your employer’s shoes. If someone asked YOU for a raise… would you give it to them based on their hard work? If the answer is yes, than stay confident in that and don’t waiver when speaking about your raise.
  4. Charm goes a LONG way: I mentioned it before – if your boss doesn’t like you… I simply suggest starting to find a new job. Charming people get a hell of a lot more in life than jerks. The day you want to ask for a raise, dress the part and put your best smile on. Dress for success (there is a lot of psychology behind how you present yourself at work). In this instance though, just dress a tick better than you normally do and pull out that sweet charm. You don’t want to ‘beg’ for a raise – far from it. However, you do want to ask with a confident smile. Honesty goes a long way, but so does numbers and facts. Find your formula and stick to it! How did you present yourself when you were hired? Take that same confidence and kick it up 2 notches!

Lastly, we want to know what you did to score your raise. Did our tips/tricks work? 2017 is coming fast and typically people are in great moods at the end of the year. Hopefully even in a giving mood ;). Use all the facets to your advantage. If you’re hardworking and deliver what you say you will throughout the year, than go get that raise girlfriend!

P.S. This long grey duster is probably one of my favorite purchases this season. It comes in several colors (chocolate brown, navy blue, beige) and it could be great with a chunky knit sweater dress too and OTK boots, like these! This particular one is sold out, but a serious dupe is from H&M. It is under $70 and made of mohair blend so it’s a good weight and thickness! Like something you see? Click the link below to shop the look or click on the image itself & it will take you directly to the site!HM-Grey-Duster-Not-Necessarily-BlondeChelsey-Not-Necessarily-Blonde-Fashion-Blog Chelsey-Not-Necessarily-Blonde-Fashion-Blog Fashion-Blogger-Not-Necessarily-Blonde-Grey-HM-Long-Sweater

XX,

Chelsey (don’t forget to subscribe to our NNB newsletter & receive exclusive content)


OUTFIT DETAILS

Long Cardigan – (sold out, similar -H&M)

Ripped Jeans – Nordstrom

White Tank – Shopbop

Necklace – Ann Taylor (Old, similar)

Sunnies – Never Naked Boutique (sold out, similar)

Bag – (Never Naked Boutique (sold out, similar)


SHOP THE POST